Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Interview with Nathan Chandler, author of Warrior of the Way


Warrior of the WayTitle: Warrior of the Way
Author: Nathan Chandler
Publisher: iUniverse
Pages: 376
Genre: Fantasy
Format: Ebook
 Purchase at AMAZON 

Civil war is a curse that touches everyone, including King Tashdar of the Mulamar. When he is ordered by a powerful and mysterious stranger to send warriors toward Kanai and Kadisha to slaughter everyone, Tashdar has no choice but to obey. As the Hebari emperor’s palace is invaded, only one man escapes—a captain of the guard to whom the emperor has entrusted the safety of his remaining two children. Moments later, the emperor’s legacy is erased from the face of the earth. More than forty years later, Pasha Nuvahli of the Sashramans tribe, greatest of the king’s warriors, is devastated when his wife is murdered and his son is kidnapped. Overcome with despair as war and a dangerous sorcerer threaten the southern tribes, Pasha soon finds himself in a crisis of faith as he ponders why Daiyu has allowed such sorrow to befall him. But after he learns of an ancient prophecy and his hidden connection to the last emperor of the south, Pasha is sent by King Juktan to seek an alliance with the five other Hebari tribes and lead them against an ancient enemy from the north. Suddenly, his life takes on a new meaning. In this compelling story, a worried king looks to his greatest warrior to unify the south with the hope the young soldier can save his people before all is lost forever.

   amazon 

Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what do you listen to?

Yes I listen to music while writing but it depends. Sometimes I can't concentrate on the story when there's music. Other times I can't write anything unless I have music. But overall I usually listen to music at least partway during the writing process. I listen to epic music on Youtube, rock music, or a sultry tune from Lana del Rey.

Do you have any suggestions for upcoming writers?

My advice is read a lot. I've found that the more I read the better I get at writing my own stories.

What is it you like to do when you are not reading/writing?

I like to watch movies and TV. I also like to spend time with family and go out on the town whenever possible. I like to exercise whenever possible.

Is there an author/authors that have inspired you?

I am a huge Conn Iggulden fan. I have many of his books. I love his writing style and I've tried to learn from it as I write my own stories. Conn Iggulden also gave me very good advice on writing that will help me get better as I continue writing. I love J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter books. I find her life story very inspiring just like her books. I hope to improve my writing and wield the written word as effectively as she has. Charles Saunders with his African hero in Imaro was an inspiration that motivated me to continue with my own such character in Pasha Nuvahli. The warrior aspect of Imaro was something that really attracted me to the story.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

As a child I wanted to be the President. As a teen I wanted to be an interpreter after watching Nicole Kidman in 'The Interpreter'. I partially achieved that goal. I have an Associates degree in Spanish Translation and Interpretation from Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City Campus. In college I decided that I needed a firm grounding in business so I decided that I wanted to be a multilingual business executive. I'm now working on a Bachelors in Business which I have nearly completed. I've also been studying Mandarin Chinese. As I near graduation I find myself desiring to be a famous author and a Film Executive. I imagine that once I've finished my studies I'll try to become a bit of everything. I'm not fast at everything but I don't give up on what I really want.

How do you/would you react to a bad review of your book?


I'd be more upset with myself than with the reviewer when it comes to a bad review. I do hope a reviewer would be fair considering this is my first book. I have improved my writing substantially since I started writing this story, a reviewer should not expect perfection. At the same time I know that my writing skills are fairly good for a new author. The main criticism readers have given me is my use of the passive voice. That is a valid criticism and something I need to improve. Even so it doesn't take away from the substance of my story.. I think any reviewer will see that. If a review is bad I expect it to be balanced and I expect it to take into account my new writer status.


Nathan Chandler received an associate’s degree in technical Spanish translation from Oklahoma State University–Oklahoma City and currently attends the University of Oklahoma, where he is majoring in international business with an emphasis in Chinese language. Nathan resides in Norman, Oklahoma, where he continues to write.

0 comments:

Post a Comment